- Tuesday August 7th, 2018 :: 01:19 p.m. PDT
From Isabela Ordoñez at Community Action (IsabelaO@communityactionskagit.org)
Thank you for contributing your time and heart to building relationships, opening doors to opportunity, and helping our neighbors and their families get ahead. Project Homeless Connect would not be possible without your generosity of time and spirit. On behalf of all the service providers and guests at PHC, and on behalf of the Skagit Coalition to End Homelessness, we are grateful for your participation in this annual event that connects over 350 families to services in our community.
If you registered someone using your email address, please pass this information to them!
In Person Orientations:
Thanks to Dan Green for transcribing these:
Tina Tate, Friendship House, Mount Vernon
- Video and complete information at website
Funded by Skagit County and individual contributions
A ministry that wishes to reflect the heart of God
- Friendship House
- For homeless in transition
- Total staff of 7
- Residents help
- Friendship café –
- central point for persons making 1sttime contact, all ministries
- serves 3 meals/day, 365 days/year, 6,000 meals/year
- facilitates 200 at a time
- Hunger and Hope Program
- Provides culinary training
- 90% placement success
- Barbara’s House
- Low rent rooming house
- 5 rooms
- Cold weather shelter
- Buses people to and from Friendship Café to 7thDay Adventist school gym
- 1stcome, 1stserve
- Limit 22 persons plus staff (fire marshal)
- 3 paid time staff includes one security company
- Many homeless have started governing themselves, and doing community service by picking up trash at targeted destinations
- Not recommended for children
- Other shelters that will facilitate both men and women
- Combined ministries provide shelter for about 80 men, women and children daily
- 1stcome, 1st No waiting lists
- Public showers, laundry, clothing, personal needs provide
Bus passes to Mount Vernon can be obtained at Anacortes Family Housing (staffed 7 days), Salvation Army, Anacortes Police Department, Anacortes Library
Love Inc – fundraiser dinner to be held at St Joseph Center, MV on May 11th
Anacortes Family Housing to have ground breaking event for new facility on May 17th. AFH is currently full but their should be some openings in a couple weeks. Also, AFH provides volunteer training one each quarter. Next training to be approximately3rd week in June.
Anacortes Christian Center is purchasing food cards from The Market. They hole punch the strip on the card which tells checkstand tellers
Tuesday, December 5th, 6:15 PM, Anacortes Public Library:
Anacortes School District Community Engagement Coordinator Keiko McCracken and Early Learning Coordinator Nicole Mortimer will present “The Raising of America,” about early learning and the future of our nation.
The presentation is free and, with discussion, should last no more than 45 minutes.
Island Hospital offers free Medicare class, orthopedic surgery class
Offers essential oils class
Island Hospital hosts blood drive
…..For more information, click Continue Reading
Skagit Transit offers reduced fares for those with special needs. Reduced fares are available for :
- People with a disability
- People aged 65 and older
- People with a Medicare card
A Reduced Fare Card or Medicare Card should be presented to the driver when boarding. A Reduced Fare Card can be acquired at:
- Skagit Station, 105 East Kincaid, Mount Vernon
- Skagit Transit HQ, 600 County Shop Lane, Burlington
Also available from Customer Service is a Regional Reduced Fare Permit. These sell for $3.00 and a valid on any Puget Sound transit system as well as WA State Ferries. Please bring proof of your eligibility.
Skagit Transit distributes free day passes to Human Services agencies through our Ride Pass Grant Program. Each agency sets their own policy and procedure for distribution to clients with financial need.
Information on the Ride Grant Pass and the other programs mentioned above are at skagittransit.org
A list of those churches and other agencies who provide food & meals in Anacortes is available in the following link: Food in Anacortes – A DropBox file
If you have any additions or corrections contact AnacortesEric@gmail.com, and I’ll forward them to Nancy Yount at Anacortes Christian Church, who holds the Master Document.